Monday, January 12, 2009

Unit 1: Post 1 (January 12, 2009)

Hi, my name is Megan. I am a sophomore speech pathology student at TCU. I am originally from Germantown, TN which is close to Memphis. I moved to Georgetown, TX about nine years ago and am finally starting to feel like an actual 'Texan.' I have one sibling, two parents, and four hundred fish. I don't own any dogs or cats, just seafood. We have a pond in our backyard that is nearly considered a lake. I have owned various reptiles and my brother is a reptile breeder who owns bearded dragons and rattlesnakes among many other things.

I took this course because it was required for graduation and hence for my major. I don't often write things, but I would like to learn how to be a better writer as I will have to write things at all stages of life. Writing is similar to math; you might not enjoy doing it, but you will never escape it and might as well get the most out of the experience.

I do not tend to do a lot of writing outside of what is required of me for classes. I did take an Introduction to Creative Writing class last semester (I thought it would count for something in the Core...but it didn't). For that class, we wrote everything from short stories to poetry. I actually found that I can pass for a competent writer and rather enjoyed the poetry unit. For some reason, I simply cannot find the motivation to sit down and write unless it is assigned to me. As I said, I never thought much of my writing ability until I was told by several people that my writing wasn't half bad. I don't really hold any personal feelings on this matter though and leave it up to my peers to let me know how well I can create prose.

I am a member of many communities. First, I am a transplant Texan. Essentially, I was born elsewhere and now live in this state of Texas. While I don't feel the overwhelming pride that often goes with being a member of the Lonestar State, I do feel my loyalty growing each day I live here. Second, I am a member of the TCU community. This is a major aspect of my identity because I find that it tests my intelligence and increases my ability to truly participate in the 'real world.' Under the umbrella of the TCU community, I am also a member of Speech Pathology. This is part of my identity because my major sets out what I will do with my life after school. I am very excited about things to come and I have already found myself diagnosing kids I babysit or socialize with. I would like to work with special needs children and therefore have ingratiated myself with the students of Kinderfrogs. They are remarkable kids and I can't wait to work with others that are like them. Another community I am a part of is Eta Iota Sigma, the Christian sorority on campus. HIS is filled with wonderful women that are almost like a family to me. I am very grateful to be a part of it.

Everything is an argument whether we realize it or not. For instance, one argument I make in this blog is that what I am saying is worth posting on the Internet for many people to read. I make other arguments as well. I introduce myself by including my education level and my major, as I see these as part of my identity. Others may not see that this information is important while I have made an argument that it is. For the layout of my blog, I chose white and green as I believe that these are pleasing colors to the eye, however, others might think these clash and are even painful to look at. I believe that the argument that I have made is one of personal opinion. Essentially, it is my own personal opinion that what I have said is important and should be read. The fact that I finished this on time shows that I am dedicated to this course and want to succeed in it. That, is an argument of what is success in my eyes.

*I have read, understand, and agree to the terms of the course syllabus, which I see as a contract for our course.*

~Megan H~

No comments:

Post a Comment