Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Unit 2: Post 10 (February 18, 2009)

Well, the topic of my choosing is that of Autism. It is an increasingly occurring problem among the children in this country. I specifically wish to concentrate on the causes of the disorder, such as genetics and vaccines, as well as the outlook the families have for their children. I would like to include the varying viewpoints different people have who are affected by Autism, this includes the doctors, the family, and the person. Source wise, I would concentrate on medical journals, testimonials of the families, and statistics.

I really feel strongly about Autism. I was originally interested in majoring in Special Education so that I could specifically work with children who had Autism and Down syndrome. I have changed majors to Speech Pathology, but I still anticipate interacting with these populations in a professional manner. There hasn't been a lot of research done on Autism in terms of Speech Pathology. There is currently no graduate level course in this disorder like there is in voice or articulation. As the population afflicted continues to grow, the education of the providers of services needs to expand as well. I hope by working on this paper, I will expand my knowledge of this and it will help me once I am on my own in the working world.

No comments:

Post a Comment